Awesome Internet Facts
I’ve heard you love fun facts!
Well, here are some of the best! – I hope you will have as much fun reading through them and learning something new as I did while researching materials for this post.
1. A little over forty years ago the internet was invented in a beer garden. In fact, it was founded on August 27, 1976 on a picnic table at Rossotti’s (or Zott’s) Alpine Inn Bear Garden – who says the best ideas don’t come over a drink 😉
2. The name Google was created accidentally. A spelling error was made by the original founders who were under the impression they were going for Googol.
3. The first computer mouse was invented by Doug Engelbrecht and it was carved from wood First Computer Mouse
4. As of 1st January 2018, the total internet users across the world was 4,156,932,140 (that’s over 4 billion users). While the average internet speed across the globe is 5.6Mbps, in the USA it is 18.8Mbps.
The country with the fastest internet speed is South Korea with an average Internet speed of 26.7Mbps!
6. The first tweet was sent on March 21, 2006 by Jack Dorsey:
7. Mark Zuckerberg’s original Facebook profile number ID is 4 – https://www.facebook.com/zuck – The first three Facebook accounts were for testing.
8. The first YouTube video was uploaded April 23, 2005. It’s called Me at the Zoo
9. The GIF format was invented by Steve Wilke, an engineer at Compuserve in 1987.
10. Today, the Internet is 10,753 days old. Check How old is the Internet
11. This is what Google looked like in 2004:
12. Google rents out Goats to help cut down the weeds and brush at Google HQ – Google Blogspot
13. The first smiley appeared in 1979, when Kevin McKenzie tried to express his emotions by electronic means. First it look like this -) Three years later, Scott Fahlman added a colon : -) and it took the form we are used to.
14. The first AOL Instant Message was sent by Ted Leonsis to his wife on Jan. 6, 1993. It read, “Don’t be scared … it is me. Love you and miss you.” His wife replied, “Wow … this is so cool!” Leonsis later became AOL’s Vice Chairman.
15. The first sentence uttered on Skype was in Estonian in April 2003 by a member of the development team. It was ‘Tere, kas sa kuuled mind?’ or “Hello, can you hear me?” in English.
16. The very first domain name registered was www.symbolics.com on the 15th March 1958.
17. Domain name registrations were free till 1995.
18. Anthony Greco was the first man ever arrested for sending spam messages in 2005.
19. The first picture ever uploaded on the web was posted by Tim Burners Lee (inventor of the World Wide Web) on behalf of a comedy band called Les Horrible Cernettes.
20. The world’s first website is still online – Info.cern
21. The first webcam was deployed at Cambridge University computer lab – its sole purpose to monitor a particular coffee maker and avoid wasted trips to an empty pot.
22. The Internet took just 4 years to reach its first 50 Million Users.
It’s amazing how little we know about something we use for more than 10 hours a day! – We’re just scraping the surface when it comes to incredible facts about the Internet, but now you can go and dazzle your friends with your new-found knowledge.
Do you know of any other fun and interesting facts about the Internet? If so, let us know about them in the comments!
To view more articles, please visit the Leads 2 Business Blog.
If you are interested in becoming one of our subscribers, please visit Leads 2 Business.
To view notes with screenshots on how to use our website, please visit the Leads 2 Business Wiki.