A question that is constantly on the minds of any construction professional looking to grow his or her company bottom line. While there are many possible answers, only a few true solutions.
So the challenge becomes, how do you stand out among the noise and improve the likelihood that your company will be chosen by the contractor to invest their time, energy, and money in your business.
Firstly Tips for Subcontractors
1. Be upfront with the contractor, ensuring your contract is clear and detailed. Disputes often arise between the main contractor and subcontractor not only about how the project should be executed but also disagreements down the road about what was previously “agreed” on in the original contract. The most effective way to settle disputes before they occur is through contracts. Creating a detailed contract allows no room for debate or miscommunication about expectations, which saves time, improves efficiency, and avoids ambiguity.
2. Understand your rights and also what you are liable for. The subcontractor is liable for the scope of their work and the safety of their employees. It is vital that subcontractors obtain the proper insurance as well as understand what they are responsible for lawfully.
3. Do not take on too much. Subcontractors may be tempted to take on too much at times and If the subcontractor finds himself/herself being overwhelmed, this now can lead to underperformance, despite this temptation it is important to be strategic and methodical when choosing which projects to accept. This selectivity will lead to being beneficial, which in turn will lead to higher productivity and quality that will lead to acknowledgement and admiration by the main contractor.
4. Go the extra mile. The best way to grow the subcontractor’s clientele is to improve customer relations. Every industry faces a greater profit margin from a client, they already know rather than a new client. Staying connected is very important. When working on a project for a general contractor, go beyond the extra mile this shows the general contractor that you care about the project and that you are a good choice for future projects they might have. Each job that a subcontractor performs should act as an interview for future business.
5. Your brand and business promotion. The subcontractor must also invest in marketing and promotion. Marketing and promotion can include thank you emails. This ensures the main contractor has your details offhand. If in the event your company details change, make sure that you are still in the loop, update these details with the main contractor so you stay informed and most of all not miss out on any opportunities. Keeping in touch and in contact is very important.
It is vitally important that you create a brand that speaks out, by the dedication and quality of your work, referrals are also very important. The voice of the contractors speaking your praises will most definitely amplify your brand more positively.
Do not make things difficult than need be, all you need to be is organized, methodical, and knowledgeable in all business practices and use these tips and tricks to outsmart the difficulties that subcontractors often face
Secondly using Leads2Business
Using the Leads 2 Business platform ensures that you are connected with the right people at the right time. Our Directory service allows you to have the freedom to communicate with professionals throughout South Africa and Africa. Network with thousands of registered members on our Construction Directory.
Our Open Quotes option gives you valuable opportunities to engage with active buyers. Respond to RFQ’s online and improve your ranking. Access to bills matching your trades and serviceable regions. Download Bill Of Quantities and related documents. Manage your own directory profile. Be in the loop with Award notifications.
Here at Leads 2 Business, we offer more than just service but we aim to offer dynamic leads.
To view more Articles, please visit our Leads 2 Business Blog.
If you are interested in becoming one of our subscribers, please visit Leads 2 Business.
To view notes with screenshots on how to use our website, please visit Leads 2 Business Wiki.