Tender Types that require Consultants
What do Consulting Companies do?
According to Wikipedia, a Consulting Firm is “A business of one or more experts (Consultants) that provides professional advice to an individual or an organisation for a fee. The primary purpose of a Consulting Firm is to provide access to industry – specific Specialist / Consultants and subject matter experts”.
There are many reasons why businesses appoint Consultants to solve an issue within the Company. Whether it’s because the company wants an unbiased opinion or because it doesn’t have the resources to address the issue internally. Consultants offer a way to problem-solving without costing a fortune.
The services provided by Consulting Engineers and other Professional Service providers involve a myriad of services in a range of disciplines and fields. These include, amongst others:
- Civil Engineering Services: Civil Engineering is a Professional Engineering discipline that deals with the Design, Construction and Maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works like Roads, Bridges, Canals, Dams and Buildings. Civil Engineering takes place in the public sector from municipal through national governments, and in the private sector from individual homeowners through to international companies.
- Project Manager: Project Management is the application of Knowledge, Skills, Tools and Techniques to project activities to meet the project requirements.
Project Management processes fall into five groups:
- Monitoring and Controlling
Project Management knowledge draws on ten areas:
- Human Resources
- Risk Management
- Stake Management
- Electrical Engineering: Electrical Engineering is a field of engineering that generally deals with the study of the application of Electricity, Electronics and Electromagnetism.
- Geotechnical Engineering: The word “Geotechnical” refers to the geological components of the earth, like the earth and soil and also groundwater. Geotechnical Engineers evaluate the soil and other components of the earth to determine whether a particular project site is a good one for a given project and work with the lay of the land for the best results.
- Mechanical Engineering: Mechanical Engineering is the branch of an emergency dealing with the Design, Construction and use of systems and machines.
- Structural Engineering: Structural Engineering is a speciality within Civil Engineering. Structural Engineers create Drawings and Specifications, perform calculations, review the work of other engineers, write reports and evaluations, and observe construction sites.
- Architectural Engineers: The building industry is made up of several professional groups: Developers, Architects, Engineers and Construction Teams. Architectural Engineers specialize in the technical aspects of architecture, including the structural integrity and resilience of buildings and the comfort and health of those who occupy buildings.
Please see DTA 651061: Multi-Disciplinary Tender Notice as an example for various Consultants needed.
Which Organisations look for Consulting Tenders?
Consulting Tenders will attract Consulting Organisations searching for Consulting Work. E.g. A Development of Municipal Offices – Architect / Quantity Surveyor / Consulting Engineer.
According to Michael Kromhout from D W P Civil & Structural Engineers, the Consulting Tenders that they look for are: “Any tenders relating to the Plan, Design and Management of Civil / Structural Projects; including Turnkey Projects”
It’s typical Civil / Structural Projects: Municipal Services (Roads, Sewer, Water), Bulk Services (Reservoirs, Pipelines, Water Treatment Plants, Pump Stations), Buildings, Structural Steel etc
To conclude this Blog, Consultancy is a specialised field required for a particular industry/field.
Michael Kromhout – D W P Civil & Structural Engineers
I started working at Leads 2 Business in May 2014 as a Content Researcher in the Daily Tenders South Africa Department. I oversee Eastern Cape and Limpopo Regions.